What is it that:
- is there, but you can’t see it?
- can make you ill, but there is no medicine to get rid of it?
- may be toxic and may be harmless?
- if you find a lot, you should leave and call for help?
Do you give up? The answer to this riddle is . . . mold. And it may be affecting you and your family without your knowledge.
Chances are both you and the doctor are blaming your problems (stuffy nose, headaches, itchy throat and allergy-like symptoms) on something else—while continuing to overlook and ignore the real culprit.
Is it that serious?
Airborne spores from mold infestations can lead to severe heath problems, but mold rarely enters the discussion between doctor and patient. Recent research indicates that as many as 90% of those who are exhibiting symptoms of chronic sinus infection may be reacting to fungus, rather than to bacteria—which explains why the doctor’s prescriptions for another round of antibiotics normally will not work.
Antibiotics, you see, work effectively against bacteria, but not against fungi.
Moreover, there is currently nothing in the physician’s bag of tricks that would work. Medicine does not have an answer for fungal infections (which may be why practitioners have been so reluctant to embrace the idea of airborne mold being a health threat). If you have been suffering from repetitive bouts of a sickness you just can’t seem to get rid of, consider looking into the potential that your problem is related to mold.
The only solution we have
What can you do on your own behalf? There is only one way I know of to get rid of the problem: Avoid it in the first place. Dry up and mop up any mold you find in your home, and be wary of environmental mold from outside your house. The more you breathe the spores, the more they will affect you. The less you breathe them, the sooner you will begin to feel better.
Sounds tough? It is.
Until researchers find a better way of dealing with mold, we can only work with the fundamentals. Mold needs a damp spot in order to grow, and many homes have plenty of damp spots.
- Look around the water heater and in the cabinet beneath every sink.
- Listen for the sound of running pipes that may indicate a leak inside a wall.
- Note and investigate any dark areas on the ceiling.
- Fix all leaks and use a fan to dry the area.
- Make sure all trouble spots get adequate ventilation.