Have you ever sent an email, a Twitter direct message or a Facebook inbox message to another that contains hurtful or damaging content about another blogger you know?
I have been at the centre of being bullied by other bloggers, when others have whispered about me, made degrading remarks and started somewhat of a witch hunt against me, I know how it feels to feel like the black sheep. Not being accepted into the crowd and made to feel indifferent, because I choose not to be like them.
I know how being bullied online can lower your confidence and make you question your own abilities. There was a time I thought about stopping blogging due to the remarks and the cat claws that came out aimed in my direction, but it also taught me a valuable lesson.
Bullies are cowards who spend their time causing hurt to others, so they can feel better about themselves, jealousy often springs to mind.
- Have you ever disrespected another blogger?
- Do you say things about another blogger in secret to others, hoping they too will say hateful things to agree with you?
- Have you ever remarked to another that someone’s blog is crap?
- Have you ever formed a little gang and then spoke about another blogger in secret, in an unfriendly way?
- Have you witnessed someone disrespecting another blogger and then joined in the conversation?
- Do you become angry when another blogger does not agree with you?
- Do you bring it upon yourself to dictate what other bloggers should or should not do?
- Are you happy to accept that other bloggers are just as capable of blogging as you are, despite the fact you have done it for 5 years and they have for 5 weeks?
I love blogging, I love my blog, I love that I have come to meet some very special people in the blogsphere and made some lifelong friends. Bullying others needs to stop, but it never will, there seems to be a small minority of bloggers who will never accept that blogging is a free world and not everyone will play by the rules they dictate.
What I do ask is; if you come across another for whatever reason having ranting and being a bully, that you refrain from commenting and get to know the victim in the centre of the slanderous remarks, you may well be surprised what you learn.
Blogging can create an amazing experience and has so many positives, blogging bullies need to go back under their rocks and allow other bloggers to grow and be accepted for what they are, warts and all and refrain from starting witch hunts, perhaps these bloggers belong more in a school play yard.
Many will not agree with me, many will agree but will be afraid of speaking out for fear of repercussion. Bullying happens everywhere, how you react to a bully is your own choice, you are not a sheep. Do you believe everything you read or hear?